Halloween is one of the most fun and popular holidays for kids. Here are some great tips to keep everyone safe and happy!
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Look both ways, don’t run and make sure your vision isn’t obstructed by masks or costumes.
- Don’t use electronic devices while you are walking. Stop to use your device or keep the device in your pocket.
- Make sure to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. Don’t walk in the street.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Never run out into the street or cross the street between parked cars.
- If kids are mature enough, ages 12 and older, to be out without supervision, tell them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose bright colors.
- Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct vision.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Get rid of any distractions - like your phone - in your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Be especially alert for kids during those hours.
SureFit wishes every family a safe and Happy Halloween!